Mouse House Julie Cardigan

Not a bad fit

Not a bad fit

I am not a jacket person, I am a sweater person. I love long, lightweight sweaters that I can wrap myself in all year round. I wear the same sweaters in winter that I wear in summer. I wear sweaters all the time. I need new sweaters. After making my Copplia cardigan I started looking for patterns to make my own long drapey cardigan. I decided on the Julie cardigan pattern by Mouse House Creations. It is a pdf download that taped together pretty quickly. I used the same loose weave jersey knit from Girl Charlee that I made my last Coppelia cardigan out of only in a raspberry color. I cut a size XS, but added about an inch in length to each sleeve. I made the cuffs smaller by about an inch and ended up tapering the sleeves in by about an inch at the bottom (I don’t think I sewed each one up quite evenly, whooops) because the sleeves were too loose for my liking.  I really like how the sweater is constructed because it requires no hemming if you sew the double collar version, which I did. I think the sweater came out pretty well, but I wish it was a bit bigger/longer. I’m wondering if I should try making a larger size, if I should lengthen the pattern, or just look for a different cardigan pattern
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cardigan pattern?
Tapered in at sleeves

Tapered in at sleeves

Very pink horsey fabric!

Very pink horsey fabric!

Coppelia Wrap: Third Try’s the Charm?

I was much happier with my second Coppelia wrap, but it definitely still needed some tweaking before I was ready to cut into my nice fabric. So I pinched and tucked to get a tighter fit on my sweater and then went to altering my paper patter. I ended up taking a few inches out of the back and I took about 1/2″ out of the top front and at the top of the sleeve, and I lengthened the waist by about an inch. I chose to use the same knit horse fabric from Girl Charlee I used for Coppelia #2, but in the blue colorway (I ended up buying this fabric in all 3 colors because I thought it was really cute and had a nice sweater feel to it).

As this was my third time making this pattern I don’t have too much to say about construction, except that I am still not entirely sure how the bottom is all supposed to come together with the neckband and waistband, but oh well, the way I have been doing it seems to be working okay.

Final results are that this third sweater is the best fit so far, but unfortunately I could still use to take out a couple inches from the back. I swear I will get this pattern just right one of these days.

 

Papercut anima pants and coppelia wrap top #3

Papercut anima pants and coppelia wrap top #3

Papercut Patters Coppelia Wrap – Take 2

Coppelia wrap #2

Coppelia wrap #2

I am determined to make this sweater fit, so after my cotton jersey version with no alterations, except for tightening the neckband, I tried on the sweater and pinched out some fabric under the arms and in the side. I then got out my traced pattern and adjusted the pattern to take out about an inch from each side of the underarm and an inch on each side. Additionally I lengthened my sleeves by an inch (I like long sleeves). For this version I choose a knit from Girl Charlee that is much more like a sweater knit (it has a looser weave to it?) and I figured it would have a much looser fit than the cotton jersey, so when I sewed the sleeves to the front and back pieces I used a 5/8″ seam allowance instead of the 1cm. When I pinned the sweater sides together it ended up looking a little roomy still so I also took in used a larger seam allowance at the underarm.  Then I took 3″ off each side of the neckband to get a tighter fit.

Hmm...maybe I should lengthen it a bit

Hmm…maybe I should lengthen it a bit

The results are still not perfect. I did get a tighter fit, but it is still too big in the bust area and I am getting some wrinkling at the top. It is also now noticeably large in the back, the fit of the back didn’t seam bad in the last one because it was so big overall. I think for next time I will try to adjust the front of the pattern using Madalynne’s instructions (http://www.madalynne.com/pattern-correction-raglan-seams) in addition to taking it in in the sides/underarm, and I think I will try taking the back in a bit. I swear i will make this pattern work for me!
The fit in the arms is much better now

The fit in the arms is much better now