After finally finishing my Emery dress I realized that I hadn’t made a woven project in a long time (those easy to fit knits are just too tempting). So I looked at my pattern collection on Pinterest searching for something … Continue reading
Since it is now June, Me-Made-May is officially over and I can happily report that I completed my challenge successfully; I managed to wear at least one handmade item 3 days per week (not including loungewear/sleepwear of which some is also me-made). I actually ended up exceeding that slightly since May has one long weekend so I wore 4 days of me-made that week. As I’ve said before I have to wear “professional” attire during the week for work (except Friday which is casual Friday), and since I have no desire to make that type of clothing; I wear all RTW and Me-Made-May did not change my attitude there. During Me-Made-May I discovered that I really need to sew more cardigans (any pattern suggestions anyone?), more skirts, and more comfortably fitting dresses. I guess I will need to get to revising my to-sew list.
Well, last year I decided to pass on Me Made May since I certainly didn’t have enough wearable Me-Mades, and this year I was pretty undecided, but I think I am just going to do it. I think it will help me see more clearly what I wear that I have made and help steer me towards better pattern/fabric selections in the future.
So here goes, “I Megan of Smeebot Sews pledge to wear one handmade item 3 times per week during the month of May.”
Well I guess we’ll see how this goes.
So I made my first Emery dress in October of 2014 at a class at Sew-LA and as is my usual habit when taking a class I started work on a second version of the dress to cement what I … Continue reading
I bought the Bimaa pattern by Lou Bee Clothing ages ago when it was on sale thinking I would whip up some cute little sweaters for my nieces. I taped the PDF pattern together and stuffed it in a closet … Continue reading
So, this year Juki and I sewed:
- 4 pillow covers;
- 2 children’s skirts;
- 2 pajamas;
- 1 cape;
- 1 not so successful bikini;
- 6 sweaters;
- 4 pairs of leggings (still haven’t found a perfect pattern);
- 3 pairs of lounge pants;
- 7 knit tops;
- 9 skirts;
- 14 dresses; and
- a whole bunch of baby bibs, burp cloths and blankets.
I feel like I have learned a lot in the last year, going to class certainly helped with that, but I still have so far to go. Right now I am really struggling with garment fit. It’s really hard to want to complete a project when you just know it isn’t going to fit correctly. So this next year I think my focus is going to be on learning to alter patterns to fit better.
I bought the Marianne dress pattern and two kits from Christine Haynes on the day she released the pattern which was sometime before Christmas. I had been looking forward to her next pattern release as I really love the aesthetics … Continue reading
So I recently said to myself that I should sew more basics as I frequently have a hard time picking outfits since everything I own is either a pattern or a bright color. I have to say that this sewing project is a major fail on that front. While the Delphine skirt from Love at First Stitch would make a great basic skirt, the fabric I chose is anything but basic. I saw this Kayo Horaguchi canvas fabric at the Sew LA birthday party and thought that it would make a cute Delphine. The first time I made this pattern I made a size 0, but it was a bit snug and had to take it out a little at the zipper seam. This time I made the size 2, but this time it was way too big in the waist. Poo. I ended up taking the skirt in 1/2″ on each side at the back seam. The fit turned out pretty good and the fabric is as amazingly crazy as I had anticipated. Now I just need something basic on top to wear with this skirt.
I haven’t worn a denim skirt since college so I don’t know why I got it in my head that I really wanted to make a denim Hollyburn, but I did. When I was looking for fabric for my Hollyburn … Continue reading