A year with Juki

I just took my Juki in for her first service, she was running fine, but when I bought her the salesperson recommended I get her serviced after a year, well low and behold it has already been a year since I bought her. I figured it would be a good idea to reflect on my last year with Juki. I can already say offhand that I sewed so much more frequently than I did before purchasing Juki. I figured I spent so much money on my new machine that I had better get to using it, Juki is also a lot easier to use/less stress inducing than my old Brother, and I also began taking sewing classes this year, which I think helped.

So, this year Juki and I sewed:

  • 4 pillow covers;
  • 2 children’s skirts;
  • 2 pajamas;
  • 1 cape;
  • 1 not so successful bikini;
  • 6 sweaters;
  • 4 pairs of leggings (still haven’t found a perfect pattern);
  • 3 pairs of lounge pants;
  • 7 knit tops;
  • 9 skirts;
  • 14 dresses; and
  • a whole bunch of baby bibs, burp cloths and blankets.

I feel like I have learned a lot in the last year, going to class certainly helped with that, but I still have so far to go. Right now I am really struggling with garment fit. It’s really hard to want to complete a project when you just know it isn’t going to fit correctly. So this next year I think my focus is going to be on learning to alter patterns to fit better.

Advertisements

My new Juki F-600

Since purchasing my new Juki F-600 I have been really making an effort to make time to sew, which can be difficult when you have a full time job, try to make an effort to exercise regularly, have a house that needs to be cleaned, and have a boyfriend who doesn’t like to leave you alone when you try to craft. But since getting my Juki I have managed a few small projects that I could work on during the week. I am also attempting to make use of some of my smaller amounts of fabric (when I first decided I wanted to sew I started purchasing cute fabric in 1/4 to 1 yard increments with no idea of what I wanted to make with it).

I made a cute retro apron using Butterick B5579;

d57081f6818511e3b17612ef1cbf7aa1_5

envelope pillow covers out of a canvas with cats on it that look like my russian blue Wyatt;

211e5b86833511e38c6e0e32bf4e62eb_5

a fabric bin out of blue crab fabric;

85de5de483ff11e397651270abe28de5_5

a bow pouch out of Kokka cat fabric (this project wasn’t quite successful as the bow is puckering the sides of the pouch, but I think I will give it another try);

5dde24208c9f11e3b6a81263b72a9ebf_5

a zippered bow clutch;

2437f1549ac011e3aee71284e9aa6fe5_5

and I sewed two tshirts together to make a ruffled beach cover-up (my Juki handled the knit like a dream, I however, was too eager to sew quickly and it didn’t turn out as neat as it could).

bc0862e293b411e3811812cc5325a5e4_6

But overall I am pretty happy with the amount of sewing I have gotten done so far.  Also, I have to say that I love my Juki!