Way Too Big Washi

Washi

Washi

After chatting with some fellow sewists at the Sew-LA birthday party I decided to finally bite the bullet and make the Washi dress. The pattern has been sitting in my stash for months, but I just knew that the top was going to be too big and I am not really to the point in my sewing where I know how to make adjustments. But I decided to forge ahead anyways and picked out an Anna Maria Horner quilting cotton that I had in my stash. I cut out the smallest size with no adjustments.

I found that the dress sewed up pretty quickly. In one night I had the shirring done, the front was attached to the back, I had the facings in and I was ready to attach the sleeves, but I figured I had better try the dress on. Good thing I did, it was huge! I could stuff another me in the front of that dress! I certainly could not bend down in this dress. I pinched and pinned and figured out that at least 3 inches would need to come out.  I tried to figure out what the best way to fix the top was and decided to just take it in in the sides and see how that worked…So I took in the top over an inch in each side. Well, now the dress was uncomfortably tight around the arms and there was still gappage at the front….I sat down and took the top apart and put the dress aside.

Luckily for me the next day I had a private lesson with the lovely Haley at Sew LA to help me do a small bust adjustment to my Emery dress pattern. When I got home I attempted a SBA on my Washi pattern. I took in my bust darts by about 7/8″ and this time sewed up a muslin of the front and sewed it into the rest of the dress. Hmm, there was still some gappage so I  then took out over an inch from the font. I recut out my top from my fashion fabric and sewed it up. I tried it on and the fit was pretty good, yay! All that was left was to sew my sleeves, bind my sleeves, tack down my facing and sew the lining.

Arm hole binding

Arm hole binding

I ended up using pre-made binding, which I think was too small and made things a little bit difficult to sew, but it looks okay so I am fine with it. I then tacked down my facing and sewed my hem by hand.

Overall I am really happy with the way it came out. I think I would like to make the Washi again, but maybe in a softer, more comfortable fabric. Suggestions?
Not a bad fit

Not a bad fit

Shirring keeps it pretty snug in the back

Shirring keeps it pretty snug in the back

Pattern Testing – The Senna Dress

When Lindsay Woodward put up a blog post looking for people to test the Senna dress I volunteered. I thought the pattern was cute and figured it could be fun. She sent out an email with the pdf pattern and instructions and gave us 10 days to give feedback. I was really excited and printed my pattern, assembled it, cut it out, cut out my fabric and started sewing that day.  I couldn’t finish however because the pattern calls for elastic thread, which I did not have. I did end up running to Jo-Ann’s the next day to get some and they did not have a lot of selection.

Body did I have trouble with the elastic thread. I just could not get it to gather the fabric at all. I re-sewed with a longer stitch length, fiddled with tension, steamed the seams with my iron and even tried drying, but no matter what the seams would not shrink up. They do look a bit gathered when my skirt is flat, but once it is on they straighten right up. Lindsay did send out instructions/helpful tips for working with the elastic thread that would have helped me if I hadn’t rushed to sew the pattern right away.

No gathering to be seen

No gathering to be seen

I also picked the wrong fabric. The jersey I picked felt pretty heavy, but when I tried on my dress, the skirt was like a second skin; whoops. The top also came out a bit loose, but I knew it would. My bust is smaller than the smallest size for the pattern, but I figured if I was testing I didn’t really want to make any changes; plus it’s knit so it doesn’t really matter that much. If I was to make this pattern again, I would choose a heavier weight fabric and take in the top a smidge. For now I think I am going to take the skirt off the dress and turn the top into the crop top variation from the pattern.

Overall I think the pattern is cute and I think I will make another one once the pattern is officially released.

A bit big in the top....a bit tight in the bottom

A bit big in the top….a bit tight in the bottom

Very tight across the bum...whoops, bad fabric choice

Very tight across the bum…whoops, bad fabric choice