After finally finishing my Emery dress I realized that I hadn’t made a woven project in a long time (those easy to fit knits are just too tempting). So I looked at my pattern collection on Pinterest searching for something … Continue reading
I bought the Bimaa pattern by Lou Bee Clothing ages ago when it was on sale thinking I would whip up some cute little sweaters for my nieces. I taped the PDF pattern together and stuffed it in a closet … Continue reading
So, this year Juki and I sewed:
- 4 pillow covers;
- 2 children’s skirts;
- 2 pajamas;
- 1 cape;
- 1 not so successful bikini;
- 6 sweaters;
- 4 pairs of leggings (still haven’t found a perfect pattern);
- 3 pairs of lounge pants;
- 7 knit tops;
- 9 skirts;
- 14 dresses; and
- a whole bunch of baby bibs, burp cloths and blankets.
I feel like I have learned a lot in the last year, going to class certainly helped with that, but I still have so far to go. Right now I am really struggling with garment fit. It’s really hard to want to complete a project when you just know it isn’t going to fit correctly. So this next year I think my focus is going to be on learning to alter patterns to fit better.
I bought the Marianne dress pattern and two kits from Christine Haynes on the day she released the pattern which was sometime before Christmas. I had been looking forward to her next pattern release as I really love the aesthetics … Continue reading
I had been eying the Clover pattern by Papercut Patterns since it came out, but wasn’t sure if I should get it or not as I was sure it would look like a ridiculous moo moo on me. After seeing … Continue reading
So I recently said to myself that I should sew more basics as I frequently have a hard time picking outfits since everything I own is either a pattern or a bright color. I have to say that this sewing project is a major fail on that front. While the Delphine skirt from Love at First Stitch would make a great basic skirt, the fabric I chose is anything but basic. I saw this Kayo Horaguchi canvas fabric at the Sew LA birthday party and thought that it would make a cute Delphine. The first time I made this pattern I made a size 0, but it was a bit snug and had to take it out a little at the zipper seam. This time I made the size 2, but this time it was way too big in the waist. Poo. I ended up taking the skirt in 1/2″ on each side at the back seam. The fit turned out pretty good and the fabric is as amazingly crazy as I had anticipated. Now I just need something basic on top to wear with this skirt.
I bought the Emery dress pattern when Christine Haynes was having a sale in her webshop. I have been holding out on attempting to sew it in hopes that Sew LA offered another Emery dress class. Good thing I waited … Continue reading
I found that the dress sewed up pretty quickly. In one night I had the shirring done, the front was attached to the back, I had the facings in and I was ready to attach the sleeves, but I figured I had better try the dress on. Good thing I did, it was huge! I could stuff another me in the front of that dress! I certainly could not bend down in this dress. I pinched and pinned and figured out that at least 3 inches would need to come out. I tried to figure out what the best way to fix the top was and decided to just take it in in the sides and see how that worked…So I took in the top over an inch in each side. Well, now the dress was uncomfortably tight around the arms and there was still gappage at the front….I sat down and took the top apart and put the dress aside.
Luckily for me the next day I had a private lesson with the lovely Haley at Sew LA to help me do a small bust adjustment to my Emery dress pattern. When I got home I attempted a SBA on my Washi pattern. I took in my bust darts by about 7/8″ and this time sewed up a muslin of the front and sewed it into the rest of the dress. Hmm, there was still some gappage so I then took out over an inch from the font. I recut out my top from my fashion fabric and sewed it up. I tried it on and the fit was pretty good, yay! All that was left was to sew my sleeves, bind my sleeves, tack down my facing and sew the lining.
I ended up using pre-made binding, which I think was too small and made things a little bit difficult to sew, but it looks okay so I am fine with it. I then tacked down my facing and sewed my hem by hand.
I find that I seem to like to try at least 2 patterns by a pattern company so when I ordered the Emery Dress pattern by Christine Haynes I also ordered the Chelsea dress. Since I am taking a class … Continue reading