Cat Lady Sewing Challenge

Cat print on cat print? why not?

Cat print on cat print? why not?

I find that I seem to like to try at least 2 patterns by a pattern company so when I ordered the Emery Dress pattern by Christine Haynes I also ordered the Chelsea dress. Since I am taking a class at Sew LA for the Emery Dress I decided to sew up the Chelsea. Since the pattern calls for fairly small amounts of contrasting fabric I ordered some cute cat head lawn from Miss Matabi on Etsy. Originally I was planning on using the larger cat head print as the main body and then the darker plaid cat head print as the contrast fabric, but I changed my mind as I was placing the pattern pieces to cut. I cut out a straight size 0 even though my measurements put me into different sized (0 at bust, down to a 4 for waist/hips) because the dress looked like such a loose fit that it would still be plenty loose.After having all my pieces cut out I started thinking that maybe I had too many cat heads and that this was going to look crazy…maybe I should have used plain fabric for the contrast pieces…but then I figured whatever, I can’t go wrong with a million cats, right?

The only issues that I had sewing this up were that I got confused as to which piece was the back and which piece was the front, so I think I ended up with the right pieces in the right places (I hope); and also I had a bit of trouble attaching the yoke to the dress body since the body wanted to creep up under the needle as I was sewing. This was my first time sewing buttons and my buttonholes weren’t particularly neat or well placed. Whoops…I guess I need to practice buttonholes.

Collar/Yoke

Collar/Yoke

I ended up sewing the band from view B onto the bottom of the dress (I made view A) so that I could wear it as a dress instead of as a tunic. The dress was super short when I first tried it on, like can’t lift my arms up short. I did have a few fit issues with my finished dress. First, the fit of the yoke/sleeves is a bit uncomfortable as the shoulder seems seem to want to slide backwards whenever I move. I am not sure if it is because I have wide-ish shoulders or if I sewed something wrong? Second, even though I sewed the body 2 sizes smaller than my measurements the dress still came out super loose/baggy. Maybe it is supposed to fit that way, but I may try to slim the sides a bit if I make the pattern again because I think I would like a slighter more streamlined fit. Overall the pattern is really cute and I ended up liking my crazy mix of cat fabrics.

 

 

shoulder seams tend to slip backwards

shoulder seams tend to slip backwards

A little bit big

A little bit big

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s