My first pair of successful leggings!
I took a serger intro class the other week where I learned how to thread my serger correctly (yay!), how to make a chain, how to adjust my tension (and what the correct tension should look like), how different knits behave differently and how serging across the lengthwise and crosswise grain differs and how to adjust the differential accordingly. I felt so much better about my serger until I got it home and had no idea how in the world I was supposed to make anything with it (I ended up playing around with some knit scraps and just serging them together).
What I was mainly interested in was making leggings (and eventually some knit tops) with my serger so I signed up for a serger leggings class that was being offered at Sew LA (perfect timing). I was really nervous since I really had no experience sewing anything using my serger, but I figured I would just go for it. We used Jalie Pattern #2920
(Jalie does a lot of dance/activewear patterns). The instructor showed me how to find the grain of a knit, which had been confusing the heck out of me when I tried to figure it out on my own, I pinned and then cut out my leggings. The instructor had me sew some practice curves on my serger (which is a good thing because I kept cutting off the end of the curve (which would be my crotch on the pants, and no one wants pants with a misshapen crotch area). By the end of class I had a pair of wearable leggings, which was a vast improvement from the pair of leggings I made by drafting my own pattern (lets just say I couldn’t do any squats in them).
Wearing pants I made!
A serged seam
Since my leggings class I have made one more pair of leggings using a cotton jersey I got at Joann’s. They looked pretty good when done, but the fabric was a bad choice (not enough stretch); oh well, at least I got some more practice with my serger. I guess I better start looking for knits that will make good leggings.
Not enough stretch in these leggings