Next came the belt loops which were not successful (you can see they didn’t make it onto the skirt). I folded, sewed and ironed my belt loops and went to attach them to my skirt, but wasn’t really sure where to place them. There were no markings on the pattern pieces and the directions showed a picture of placement, but I didn’t know if the picture was accounting for seam allowances and since I hadn’t attached the facing yet, I wasn’t 100% sure where the top of the skirt would be. I placed the belt loops where I thought they should go and then the directions just say to attach the belt loops, so I sewed on 2, but because my fabric was so lightweight, the fabric was sliding and belt loop was kind of spreading out; it didn’t look good. I ended up taking them off. My mom suggetsted interfacing the belt loops and using paper to stabilize the fabric – maybe next time.
I attached the facing with no problem and then inserted the zipper. The pattern calls for a regular zipper so that is what I used. The zipper insertion could have been neater; my stitches definitely get wonky around the zipper pull. The last step was to hem with bias tape. I used store bought bias tape and I learned the hard way about the dangers of using polyester bias tape. When I was ironing my bias tape down the iron definitely scorched the tape a bit….whoops.
After all the mishaps sewing this skirt up I thought it would be a complete disaster, but it didn’t turn out nearly as bad as I thought it would. I bought some linen to try this skirt again. I wish I had waited to take a better picture or the skirt on, but oh well.